Tuesday, July 10, 2012 | By: Three Chapters

Three Chapters of Saffron September: A Muslim Woman's Story

Author: Aliya Anjum
Title: SAFFRON SEPTEMBER: A Muslim Woman's Story
Genre: Contemporary Women's Fiction / Religious Fiction
Buy it at: Amazon
Three chapter rating:
3 / 5


Blurb: "Zara grows up privileged, in Pakistan. By the time she reaches her late twenties, she is single and no longer welcome in her home; death, illness and an arranged marriage has broken family bonds. She leaves Karachi, Pakistan to seek a new life in America. What begins as a quest for a new life, turns into a journey of faith.Zara wants what every woman wants: a husband, a family and a home. Breaking free from the traditions of her culture where marriages are arranged, Zara overcomes the constraints of her upbringing and sets out to find that special someone. Her quest is a long, hard road, beset with heartbreak and sorrow, where faith becomes her savior. One chance encounter with Ali, connects her to a kindred spirit; a man who seems like the answers to her every prayer. 

This is the story of Zara and Ali, and their struggle to find eternal bliss in the land of opportunity."


Review: 
When I first began reading Saffron September, I thought it was off to a dull, slow start. The first two chapters introduced the two main protagonists and how they meet, which to me was a rather unappealing way to begin a novel. The writing itself isn't bad at all, and it flows nicely - but had I been writing the book, I would have gone a bit differently.

Upon reaching the third chapter, I finally became interested. During this chapter, you learn about Zara's past, her former relationships, and hardships she has experienced. You learn about her family, where she derives from and you understand what she has been through before Ali comes into her life. This should have been where the book began - it should have revolved around Zara's experiences that lead up to her meeting with Ali. 


If you can make it through the semi-dreary first two chapters and get to the good stuff, then this book is worth taking a look at. It's not a genre I would typically read, but despite that, I did find myself growing intrigued to know more about Zara's past - even more than I cared about learning about her and Ali, but perhaps if I read a bit further, I would have come to the conclusion that it grows more interesting beyond chapter three. 


Overall, I would probably give it a chance and continue reading past chapter three to see how it develops, but had I picked it up in a book store and merely glanced at the first few pages - I would have quickly set it back down and carried on to the next novel. 


Reviewed by: Arynn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment